Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Homemade Dolly and Stedicam Test

A few months back I made a dolly out of a peice of wood, some wheels and some PVC pipe and also a Steadicam out of galvanised pipe. I made a test to see how well they work. I used a scene from my short film script as refference:

"INT. HOUSE MIDDAY
The house is empty. Sounds echo from all corners. Sounds
of footsteps and whispering voices wander around the
house. Both Owen’s and Jordan’s bedroom doors creak open,
hold still for a moment then slam shut simultaneously."

I figured this is a good thing to upload to my blog even though it was made a couple months ago. Im trying to figure out how I am going to make the full short film but I still have more tests to do.

Here is the test footage with some really rough image colouring and sounds:
http://uploading.com/files/22983efb/Horror.mp4/

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Instantly effective shots. How does the steadicam work without gyroscopes? Is it just the extra mass making it hard to jitter and tremble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its just a T shaped thing made out of 3 peices of pipe. there is a weight on the end and a camera on the other with the last piece of pipe a handle. It just makes a heavier object that stops jitter yes, but also it is center balanced. It works really well for smaller cameras. better than spening five grand :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard an interview recently where some director said the ones they use in Hollywood are upwards of frikkin' $30,000 and too heavy to use too much. That's more than a lot of independent films' entire budgets, haha! Yeah.

    ReplyDelete